Tuesday, September 1, 2009

No more Reading Rainbow

Butterfly in the sky / I can go twice as high / take a look / it's in a book / Reading Rainbow.

Evening singing that to myself now makes me smile. Some of my happiest moments at as a child were watching this show. Amazing stories about exciting books. LeVar Burton in all of his warmth and joy about learning. Kids getting to give their own opinion, unvarnished or scripted by adults.

Well, it's over. PBS is shifting funding toward programs that teach how to read, instead of teaching why. Some blame the Bush administration.

I'm reminded of the great quotation from Mr. Holland's Opus:
Vice Principal Wolters: I care about these kids just as much as you do. And if I'm forced to choose between Mozart and reading and writing and long division, I choose long division.

Glenn Holland: Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want, Gene. Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about.

No comments: