Thursday, October 1, 2009

Vegetarian Lunch in Shaghai

Last week, I met up with a friend from college, who took me to an amazing vegetarian restaurant in the French Concession area of Shanghai.

The restaurant, Wu Guan Tang, at 349 Xinhua Rd, near Dingxi Rd (unlike Japan, China has normal street names and sequentially numbered buildings) advertised itself as "No MSG, Not Fried, No Carbonation, No Artifical Meat." I knew I was in for a treat. Everything was a bit sweeter than Chinese food I've had before, which apparently makes it more Shanghainese.


This one is curried rice with avocado.


Two different kinds of mushrooms.


This one was very spicy.


Finally, this was mock crab, which was sweet potato and carrot, stuffed into a hollowed out red pepper.

We also got two other dishes, and tea. The whole cost of the lunch, which could have easily fed 3 people? 180 yuan, which is around $14 a person. Amazing.

No comments: